What is an emotional crisis?
An emotional crisis can occur any time, even when we least expect it. It is not uncommon for emotional crisis to arise suddenly, and one moment feel fine and in the next feel extremely overwhelmed. The crisis can be triggered by the sudden loss of a loved one, hearing alarming news or being triggered by a traumatic event or memory. According to the American Psychological Association, an emotional crisis can come on suddenly and common physical symptoms may also appear. Some of these symptoms include:
- Ignoring your own personal hygiene
- Sudden change in sleep patterns. Either sleeping more than usual or having an unusually challenging time falling or staying asleep.
- Significant weight gain or loss.
- Experiencing intense changes in mood
- Withdrawal from routine activities.
An emotionally crisis can be triggered by certain events such as:
- A sudden loss of a loved one
- Losing your job suddenly
- Hearing worrisome news
Those who experience an emotional crisis need immediate help, which may sometimes be after hours. With our Psych Urgent Care those in crisis are able to be seen swiftly to handle any of their mental health needs.